Following a comment on my post “Tailor made clothes, jewellery, handbag, sofa – the customised paradise of all the nice the haves” I started thinking about what makes the difference between tailor-made, customisation and mass production. My thoughts take the perspective of a client and I think that most clients think that the soon they influence the look of their product they think of “tailor-made”.
According to Wiki this client influence is limited since the product is not created from scratch, but I can influence the final product by choosing different options and modules = hence (mass)-customisation.
To boil it down
- If a product is built from scratch it’s tailor-made
- If I can add options and choose modules it’s customisation
- If I decide to walk in a shop and choose a product it’s none of the above (what’s the name for it? Mass production?)
The wish list
Coming back to the post (thanks Danny) and the links, here are my thoughts to it.
- Laudni Vidni: I came across it some weeks ago. I like their bag composer and all the possibilities – the bag shapes don’t do it for me (yet). Let’s watch how it develops.
- Sole Envie: Being a woman who is very particular regarding the style AND the comfort of shoes I have some doubts about it. I have made several experiences that I tried new shoes on, walked up and down the aisles in shoe shops, but the soon I wore them for longer later – they would hurt me. Being not a Cinderella’s sister type of women; I would throw the pair with anger into a corner – if I pay for something, it shouldn’t hurt me.
And here’s the point I would like to make: I need beautiful, heeled shoes, that support my funny (not standard) foot shape, padded shoes – no seams that scratch me to bleed/blister and neither torturing me with their bench vice methods. Without trying them on, I do not have the confidence in getting the right fit for me.
- Paragon Lake: Do I get it right that it targets jewellery shops/sellers? Designs are too rich for me, but I like it because it appeals so fancy to me
- Create my chocolate: Interesting. As a chocolate processor myself (baking, cooking) I prefer to use plain chocolate and refine it myself. Be it like for home-made pralines, flourless-redwine-savoury-chocolate-cake, mole-negro and in general as a Swiss I think that ours is one of the best! If you look for a customised present (preparing for valentine), then you should try out Typolade.
- Speaking of Valentine; get back your love-bird attitude by ordering LoveHearts for your sweet heart (no customization possible)
- And of the course the already mentioned customisable M&M’s
- Staying with food-to order; why not order your gummy bear and jelly beans in the colours and tastes as YOU like it? I would be happy only have red ones. Why is it, that I always like the red ones best?
- This list needs something healthy too: mix your own tea mixtures with allmytea or Teemischen
- Start your breakfast with your own Müsli
- How about getting customised maccarons for our company, wedding, engangement with customised letters printed?
- And finally I shouldn’t forget our Zurich classic: Customised Truffles from Sprüngli with your company logo! Your logo can be printed or a truffle shape with your logo (engraved or raised) will be developed. Nice!